Breaking News: Pope Benedict XVI will resign on February 28
Hello all, Dave here.
This just in from the Wall Street Journal and AP:
There has been a lot of controversy over Ratzinger’s reign as head of the Catholic Church. Personally, I’m glad to see him go. Although he has said he is “deeply ashamed” of the church’s problems with pedophiles, he has not done enough/much at all to put a stop to it. Just earlier tonight I was having a conversation with a friend about these sexual abuse cases, making an analogy to restaurants: If there were a chain of restaurants in which some of the chefs were caught molesting customers’ children, and the restaurant chain’s response was simply to shuffle these chefs to other restaurants, there would be a mass boycott. The chefs would be immediately imprisoned and there would probably be threats on their lives. No one would ever eat at those restaurants again. But when it’s the Catholic Church, Catholics make excuses. It’s ridiculous.
Ratzinger was also a member of the Hitler Youth, although this was compulsory at the time and he was not a willing member.
Ratzinger is also a proponent of intelligent design, saying that humans are ”not the products of chance and error.” Good riddance. At least John Paul II gave credence to evolution.
One of these men will very likely be the next Pope. We’ll see what happens!
More to come as details unfold.
If you like this post, please upvote it on Reddit.
Dave Muscato is the Kansas/Missouri-Area Volunteer Network Coordinator for the Secular Student Alliance. He is also a board member of MU SASHA. He is a vegetarian, LGBTQ ally, and human- & animal-welfare activist. A non-traditional junior at Mizzou studying economics & anthropology and minoring in philosophy & Latin, Dave posts updates to the SASHA blog every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday and twice monthly for the Humanist Community at Harvard. His website is http://www.DaveMuscato.com
and don’t forget… other SASHA members! We are here for you, too!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This week’s posts
- RT @AmericanAtheist: .@todayshow @alroker @NMoralesNBC Atheists are citizens too. Leave your god out of journalism. Remember we don't all b… 1 week ago
- Buying CAFO products is bad, mmm-kay, Part 1: youtu.be/s8C9ajXYZOI?a via @YouTube 2 weeks ago
- Buying CAFO products is bad, mmm-kay, Part 2: youtu.be/NGrCwXW084U?a via @YouTube 3 weeks ago
- About to get started at Speaker's Circle. Come out and help us #DefendDissent 3 weeks ago
- Come to Speaker's Circle today at noon to #DefendDisssent facebook.com/events/1828297… 3 weeks ago