Welcome to the official MU SASHA blog!
You can also follow us on twitter.
MU SASHA stands for University of Missouri Skeptics, Atheists, Secular Humanists, & Agnostics. SASHA is the only expressly secular/skeptic group at the University of Missouri. We are also open to (& strongly encourage interaction from!) people of all faiths & religious backgrounds.
Meeting room space depends on Mizzou’s Organization Resource Group scheduling and locations vary week-to-week, so make sure to join the Facebook group so you can stay updated on where we’re meeting.
MU SASHA’s officers are:
President: Tony Lakey
Vice President: Aaron Underwood
Treasurer: Max Jersak
Secretary: Sharon Braun
Director of Public Relations: Robbie Curran
Event Coordinator: Katie Huddlestonsmith
Email us at email@example.com
Our mission is threefold:
1) To establish a positive environment for MU students who are rationalists, non-theists, humanists, or skeptics.
2) To enrich the MU campus life by sponsoring educational events and fostering student dialogue on matters of faith, science, and reason.
3) To engage MU students in issues of national and international import surrounding freedom of conscience and secular education.
Additionally, we strive:
- To provide a place of community, camaraderie, learning, and freedom for non-theistic students, faculty, and staff at Mizzou.
- To represent and cater to the secular perspective to Mizzou students, faculty, staff, and residents of Columbia and surrounding areas by organizing local events and activities, such as weekly meetings, an annual regional conference, guest lectures, a weekly podcast, a YouTube channel, a monthly book club, movie nights, and more. (Feel free to suggest additional activities in the comments below!)
If you are looking for a group of like-minded, free-thinking individuals who place high value on rationality, skepticism, the scientific method, and logic, and who seek to express their rationality in a way that educates, informs, and enlightens, then you have come to the right place!
Our blog is updated (almost) daily, and we currently have 6 contributing authors. They are:
Dave Muscato, Currently the Director of Public Relations for American Atheists, formerly Vice President of MU SASHA. He is a vegetarian, LGBTQ ally, and human- & animal-welfare activist. His website is http://www.DaveMuscato.com.
Seth Kurtenbach, graduate student at Mizzou studying Theoretical Computer Science (formerly philosophy grad student extraordinaire).
Tony Lakey, President of MU Skeptics, Atheists, Secular Humanists, and Agnostics at the University of Missouri – Columbia, where he is a Philosophy and Sociology double major. Tony interned with CFI On Campus in Amherst, NY in the summer of 2012.
Steve Sparkman, graduate student at Mizzou studying journalism.
On occasion, we also feature guest contributors. Past contributors have included New Testament historian David Fitzgerald (author of “Nailed“), activist Damon Fowler, Christian preacher and musician Rocket Kirchner, computer scientist Benjamin Schulz, and others.
Center for Inquiry on Campus
Secular Student Alliance